In today’s diverse and increasingly more complex society, there is a need for individuals trained in a professional and educational curriculum which prepares students with work in a plethora of careers, including Social Services case aide, Gerontology Worker, Youth Worker, Crisis Counselor and Psychiatric Technician. The Social Services program will expose students to a multidisciplinary approach to understanding society and human behavior. Students will gain the practical and theoretical education necessary for success professionally or at a four-year college or university.
Upon completion of the Social Services A.S. program, students will have gained the initial education and training for future careers in various occupations within Human and Social Services. Associate in Science programs in general are primarily designed for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Union County College has transfer agreements with a number of colleges and universities in New Jersey and throughout the United States. Graduates of this program can obtain work as aides/assistants in daycare centers, mental health agencies, social service agencies, institutions for the physically or mentally challenged, prisons, hospitals and substance abuse agencies. Those students who later earn a bachelor’s degree and beyond may hold positions such as social service case managers, counselors, administrators or educators.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
Search for courses in the online course catalog.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving ability and effective communication skills
- Discuss and analyze the history and theories of sociology and psychology.
- Utilize appropriate non-verbal and verbal communication skills to demonstrate cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrate ethical behavior and thinking through synthesis in coursework
- Demonstrate understanding of quantitative and qualitative methods used in social services agencies and sociological and psychological research
- Demonstrate competencies through coursework and behavior that reflects entry level professional readiness.